It's been a while
It's been a while.
No - not since I've written an article, not since I've washed my dirty vessles (they do not have an organic biosystem building up on them which I can clearly notice through the oxygen mask i've got to wear when I enter the kitchen), not since I've gone for a jog (you dont need to unless you start developing man-boobs) and definitely not since every cricket player's fortunes have suddenly become the budgets of the combined economies of Benelux countries.
It's been a while since I've had a serious girlfriend. There's been dating (if you're reading this, I want my 'Who's the Daddy' T shirt back) .
Now it's back to the flashes of 'shit if I dont find a girl now, my family will force feed me to a healthy girl whose passions include breaking down every thought into the most complex of conclusions that can be possible by the human mind.(OK I'm hurting). To be fair i guess it's just the need to settle down with a nice girl.
Point is with weekdays spent mostly at work and listening to underground tube station announcements and weekends sitting indoors with the gloomy English weather outside, I didnt have the chance of meeting anyone new.To be fair i couldnt care less. Until recently. So last weekend, seeing that the weather was turning pretty good with spring at the doorstep, I decided that I'd make a sincere and conscious effort to go out and strike up a good conversation with the next girl I deemed 'pretty cute'.
I was scheduled to go to a hip and trendy bar in Covent Garden that evening with a few of my mates and i thought it would be the perfect place to work the plan. Now I''m not a Brad Pitt or a Hrithik Roshan so I dont have semi clad women throw themselves at me when I smile at them (don't they?). What I do have is a bit of intelligence and charm so i hoped that would do the trick. And of course my pre-practiced cheesy pick up lines which I'd borrowed from my flatmate Paddy's book 'Dummies guide to ensure you get that girl's number you've always been waiting for'. (There's an Advanced version too).
Come the evening, the bar I landed up at was as predicted pretty swanky and had good lively music. I noticed a fairly sized dance floor at the far end. By the time we entered the place, it was teeming with people. A quick cursory glance around and I concluded there were quite a few 'pretty cute' women so was pretty positive and confident of what was to come further on into the evening. Within about half an hour of entering, I had picked up a conversation with a dark eyed, beauty at the bar. It happenend quite unprepared really. I hadnt noticed her as I stood to buy drinks for my mates ( my round). She accidentally stepped on my foot as she came up to the bar and I said something funny, she must have thought it was because she replied and it went from there. After a fairly sparky conversation just as we were leaving to walk back to our respective groups, I asked her if I could buy her a drink and she gave me a wide smile, nodded and said maybe later. Good signs.
This was going well. I wasnt a master at this, I didnt know if I'd be able to have a conversation leave alone get any number, and I knew i was there to have fun with my mates as well so a drink extra could ruin a lot. (I have it from reliable sources that slurring isnt really attractive). So yeah it gave me an extra boost of confidence.
And then came the killer to any plan of having a conversation with anyone in a bar.
Good music. Oh Yes.
The DJ suddenly decided tht 9.30 would be a good time to play Michael Jackson's Thriller which I think is easily up there with the best tracks to dance to. Soon the dance floor was full , which we were a bouncing part of as well. I danced and drank and then drank again and the next thing i remember was a fried chicken leg, chips, a cab and and laughing at something that I'm sure was not funny at all.
Either ways, it wasnt too bad an effort. Granted having a conversation with one girl and being partly allowed to buy a drink which didnt even materialise in the end isnt every single man's idea of great evening but its a start. Watch this space.
I now cant wait for my friend's birthday party next week. I've heard the place has great music....
Puneeth
Disclosure: The events mentioned above may or may not be true depending on your sense of humour and general disposition. And no, I'm not judging.

2 Comments:
I like how you came back with your 'Disclosure'!
Did the friends party happen and was it 'successful'?
Puneeeeth! How are you - been sooooo long! This is great.
I have a lovely 'Who's the Daddy' T shirt that you can most definitely have. haha. Catch you soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home