... never stops amusing
I went on a date with ML. After all that musing and bemusing and contemplating and bordering-on-creepy imaginary profile building , I went on a date with ML. The woman of my dreams. A Goddess come to rescue me from my wild ways of singledom. The woman who would put an end to my lecherous flirtatious ways because I wouldn’t need to anymore. Who I would walk with into a boulevard sunset with a cheesy 70’s pop song playing in the background. Only I didn’t. And it’s not just because I don’t like 70’s pop.
It was quite a long while actually by the time I eventually got to speak to her. Mostly of course because trains are quite noisy and crowded and I’m always in a hurry . Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that she was so far off my reach that I never had the courage to go up to her and say hello.
But like The World Darts Championship, in life if you wait long enough something eventually happens.
And it did. I was on holiday one day but needed to get into town for some work so got the afternoon train , and there she was with her book again seated right in front of me.
“Hey hello”, I blurted out. “You on holiday today too?” Silence. And a big stare. “Excuse me?”
“Oh I usually see you on the morning train so its surprising you’re here so late today, so I thought you had a holiday, because I have a holiday today but am going into town for some work so am late”.
There.The most graceful first words uttered by a man who wants to make a good first impression.
Anyway, she stared again. Eyebrows crossed. Deep breath in. Funny enough it never came out.
“Ok”.
That’s what she had to say? Ok??
“So where are you going?”, I ask trying to sound casual.
That stare again. What is with that stare?
“This train goes to Finsbury Park.”
“ I know“, I said. “I see you get off there“.
“Really?” Are you a stalker?”
“If you allow me to , you might just be that lucky.”
I had detected some accent there, not British definitely, I was thinking Spanish. I generally pride myself in picking up accents.
“So your Spanish?”
“No I’m not. I’m Portuguese” . “Why would you say Spanish?”
“I don’t know really, I’m generally not too good at these things anyways".
"So how far have you got with that book?"
And just like that , we had a conversation, lasting a full half hour , because as predictable as they are, Southwest trains decided to help me by delaying the train.
I kept bumping into ML a few times after and we had some very interesting discussions. She seemed quite what I had imagined only more and I had already started seeing visions of the two of us together. She was a biologist and took pride in her work. I didn’t have much in common there , except that I liked vegetables, but it was a whole different world and it was nice getting to know a world I didn’t have a clue about.
And , finally one day after about 2 months of imagination and 2 weeks of interesting conversations, as we were walking from the station to our destinations I asked her out for a date.
What happened after is a very poignant moment of my life that I’ll remember not just as a lesson but also as a reminder to myself how life is so full of surprises.
The story here can take 2 turns.
One , that she agreed and we went for a date and it was wonderful (obviously) and we dated and days became months and months became years. She was of course the most beautiful woman in the world and most interesting so I just couldn’t spend the rest of my life with anyone else but her. We even had a glass house at the back of the garden for her botanical work. (pause for the awww’s).
The other turn is that she turns out to be lesbian.
I now take the bus to work and if I had to bet my life on it, still cant distinguish a lesbian from a non lesbian from a few conversations.
Puneeth
PS Yes if you want to know we’re still friends and I did go on a date but we split the bill.

6 Comments:
haha your funny man. Did this really happen?
Wait a minute, Preethi, when did you start reading this? In fact when did you start reading at all? mwaahaha? I'll call you soon. :)
I'm just so fond of your stories!
LOL!
Tough luck dude. Well written though.
haha, so tell me what's wrong with a lesbo my deear friend?
all well?
Cheers LN, Ro. Who's pluck? I'm guessing you're a guy. In that case nothing wrong with lesbos. But only when there's more than one.
Post a Comment
<< Home